Laser sharp focus. That is what it will take to beat Trump in 2020. A 2020 vision.
Keep the eye of the prize:
- Electing a Democratic President, House, and Senate to roll back the mean-spirited, economically biased, self-serving policies that Trump has instituted.
The damage is real. And it will take decades to fix the harm and hurt this four year failed Presidency will cause. But we have to start somewhere.
A clear vision – a 2020 vision – is necessary for the 2020 elections.
The talking heads are talking. The policy wonks are analyzing. The strategists are strategizing… And the vast majority of America may not care enough to take the time to go vote… And that is where we who care, have the time, energy, and inclination can make a difference.
- Forget about convincing people to change their minds… Enthuse people to change their hearts.
- Forget about blasting the personality of Trump… Emphasize the personal impacts of his policies.
- Forget about Fox News and the Alt-Right… Talk up our own channels and networks.
- Pursue not only massive mobilization… But also target smartly – particularly geographically (i.e.: Electoral College.)
And, most importantly: Unite, unite, unite… Here’s a possible 1-2-3 laser sharp focused punch:
 Encourage your favorite contender to take the Pledge
The fact that we may have as many as 30 people seeking the Democratic nomination for President should not be viewed as a negative. Rather, let’s commit to use those 30 organizations and political machines to get out the vote for whomever the nominee is.
The group Indivisible has created the novel idea of asking each Democratic contender for the Presidency to pledge to support the nominee. See https://pledge.indivisible.org/ What a wonderful, simple idea!
… just think about it: If each candidate takes – and acts – on the pledge we’ll have 30+ networks of volunteers, contributors, and committed folks already on the ground to give a final push and get the vote out in November 2020… The Pledge is simple:
- Make the primary constructive;
- Rally behind the winner; and,
- Do the work to beat Trump
… Beauty in simplicity.
Add to that the many issue-oriented groups that form the tapestry of Democratic ideals, including:
 Weave your Network
There are so many issue-oriented groups that know the damage being done by Trump to the issue they are passionate about. What if all these groups signed a similar pledge to support the nominee, wow!
It is the interests of these groups that when connected can weave the fabric of a new America. This issues deal with the essence of our survival as a people. These include:
- The environment
- Health care
- Social equity
- A fair economy
And so many more
 Promote the idea that the nominee should commit to a coalition government
What if: What if the Democratic Nominee committed to include a majority of the good people that sought the nomination in her/his cabinet/appointees to form a truly coalition government… Can you imagine if before the general election the nominee would commit to appoint:
- Secretary of HUD Castro,
- Office of Consumer Affairs Director Warren,
- Cities Initiatives Specialist Buttigieg or Booker,
- Attorney General Harris,
- Foreign Affairs Guru Biden,
on and on…
All of these mental calestenics of us that are engaged will be for naught unless we actively – and enthusiastically – remain positive and empathetic and relate our personal passion to individuals with whom we relate. Relationships are built on share experiences. And if we expect our friends, family, social networks, affinity groups, and people we bump into intentionally or by happenstance to vote vote vote, we have to be intentional in engaging in the conversation constructively and joyfully.
#RESIST #ENGAGE #RELATE #VOTE